Friday 15 February 2008

Lampwork

So what is lampwork I hear you ask?! Well, lampwork is the art of making glass beads using a blowtorch. You melt a rod of glass onto a metal rod called a mandrel, and turn like mad in the flame to form a 'base bead'. You can then melt other coloured glass onto this or use 'frit' (broken shards of glass) to decorate. All lampworking beads really need to be annealed in a kiln to ensure longevity. It's quite a tricky process to learn at first, but the results are very satisfying indeed! I love the way colours can be combined to an amazing effect, and how you can manipulate molten glass into different forms.
I first discovered lampworking last summer after joining an online beading forum (http://www.beadbuddies.co.uk/forum/). There are some great folks on there and I was really inspired by lampwork artists, and decided to find out more about the craft, little did I know then I'd be hooked! Armed with a starters kit, I set about creating a mini studio in the garden shed, and can now make some good 'rounds' or base beads, and I even managed some cute penguins! Time is a bit of a restriction, and so were the cold wintry months (what a wimp!), but I hope this blog will spur me back into action at the torch over the next couple of months. Can't wait to show you my progress and future glassy creations!

No comments: